In June and July of this year I traveled to The Netherlands for 3-1/2 weeks. I had many, many artistic experiences there but one gallery show really stands out: the Smaakmakers exhibit at Corrosia! gallery in Almere. This art show was really amazing! The theme was food and most of the show was interactive, using all five senses to take it all in. Some highlights of the art show:
- A giant chunk of dark chocolate with almonds was presented on a pedestal along with a chisel and hammer.
- Dark chocolates cast from real mushrooms were presented on salted trays that were slices of tree trunks.
- Misshapen fruits and vegetables (The ones that grocers will not sell) shown as sculpture, in a slide show, and as canned foods in glass jars. Raw versions were sliced, drizzled with olive oil and eaten.
- Paper thin slices of striped beets and rhubarb stalk spread out on white table....edible art.
- An interactive "design your own kitchen" feature with tiny blocks of furniture and appliances.
- One artist had tiny, mobile kitchen/cart and served gazpacho in tiny cups complete with garnishes of scallions and celery.
- A video depicting a family at an empty dinner table being hit by falling produce and foods like fish coming down like rain above them.