There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New art from this summer!

I've been busy as usual and am currently working on two new paintings and more of the mixed-media on paper artwork for the "Esoterica II: 2012" series! Shown above are Figures 8 and 9, "Tinfoils Hats" and "The Long Count" respectively. (Both are 11" x 15" and are on Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper). I have finished up to Figure 12 and have plans for a few more. So check back here or on my website for more 2012!

Here is a taste of a continuation of a series I started last year. All of these paintings have minimal color palettes: carbon black, white, graphic grey, dark blue, titanium buff, with other colors used sparingly. This painting below is called "Galactic Center" and the design is based on a nano photography. Other pieces in this series are based on images of turbulance such as clouds, and melting ice. Acrylic on custom birch panel, 30" x 48" x 3" deep.

Some people ask why my work on paper looks so much different (But consistant for each medium) than my work on canvas or panel and the main reason is that I think the paper lends itself to my narrative work much better since I often use images from pop culture and photographs and my cyanotype + mixed media method that I use is perfect for that. I tend to think of this work more like printmaking since I can make multiples. The paintings are abstract in the sense that the subject matter is hidden. Clouds and nano photographs of melting ice are essentially abstract....based in a reality that most people don't even realize is there.

1 comment: