Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 is here!

Ok, it is already January 4th, so it's been 2010 for 4 days! Woohoo.
Since New Year's Day, I have already dropped off artwork for the Arizona Edges art show at the Tubac Center of the Arts (Reception is this Friday), picked up art from the last show, played a taiko gig on New Year's eve at First Night in Tucson, and later was invited by my neighbor to burn my Christmas tree. Mine's fake, so I didn't take him up on it. A great time was had by all though!

What else: working on price increases for artwork for 2010, especially anything created on birch panels except commissioned work. Quotes for commissioned works will be less than last year's price per square foot since I now have a local craftsman creating my panels and canvas stretchers for me, so no more ordering stretchers from Wisconsin and paying for shipping, which gets passed onto the art patron! Hooray for you, the art lover. (If you are a local artist reading this, I can give you the name of my panel maker but you will have to drop me an e-mail! He doesn't have a website.)
But wait, there's more! I'm now obsessed with Japanese textiles, especially kimono, since I wear yukata and kimono occasionally for Japanese festivals (It's the taiko connection!) and have purchased a couple more as well as a couple gorgeous obi.

In my search for information on kimono kitsuke (the art of wearing of kimono), I came across this amazing artist, Itchiku Kubota, who sadly died in 2003. An article about an exhibit of his work is here, as well as a book with splendid photos available on Amazon. I will likely do a series of new paintings inspired by some of his textiles in 2010.

How could you not be moved by his work? Even these small images are breathtaking.
Arigato gozaimasu!
~reb

No comments:

Post a Comment