Monday, October 5, 2009

The Big Picture


Howdy all!!
My other half and I ventured out to check out the various gallery openings in Tuscon this past Saturday night. I believe this is the "artwalk" that starts off the 2009 art season downtown, this particular event was called "The Big Picture". There were 11+  galleries having receptions and many were within walking distance from each other. Standout shows were at Platform Gallery, with fabulous paintings by Donna Reibslager and mixed media by Nadia Hlibka. Also standing out was "Flow 159", a new gallery that had some fabulous contemporary work in it by some locals, including my neighbor, Ed Muren. Some of his work is on the Juxtapose website. He paints and works in metal.
Ed also created an incredibly cool security door for my  second-floor art studio entrance earlier this year (left); it's entirely custom. It features natural rusted steel, perforated aluminum, and some painted parts for accent. We worked together on the materials (We even went to metal scrap yards together for some of the bits he used) and some ideas, but I just let him make what he wanted. So I guess I'm his dream client!
The top photo isn't great, but it was hard to get far enough a way from it for a decent photo! The detail shows the fun metal "bubbles" he designed. He's now working on a security screen for another door/window and this time we both worked on it. It should be up soon, so hang tight for photos.
Aside from this past weekends fun, I'm gearing up for several art shows, two of which are nationally juried shows in Tubac: Arizona Edges and Arizona Aqueous XXIV. More on those shows soon.
I'll be back.
~reb

No comments:

Post a Comment